Who We Are
Hamilton Presbyterian Church was founded in 1901. It was established to meet the needs of a small but growing community surrounded by farmland. The first church was built in a pocket of structures along Harford Road including a fire department, barber shop, pharmacy, Post Office, harness shop with a large wooden horse outside, Mrs. Arnd’s Lunchroom, and one telephone. In 1915, that first small structure was replaced with our present stone building at Harford Road and Evergreen Avenue. Westminster Hall was added in 1951.
The city of Baltimore grew around the Hamilton community. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the area became more urban and evolved as a mixed-race middle class neighborhood. The most recent census information suggests a 70% African-American population. In the early 1980s, urban blight began to creep in. Today there are strong signs of resurgence. The neighborhood gained a Main Streets grant to support beautification and small business is developing along the Harford Road corridor.
The church is located in core of this Harford Road development. We are a neighborhood that is culturally diverse with a strong sense of inclusion and community involvement. This revival offers Hamilton Presbyterian Church an opportunity to rebuild. We are discovering how to respond and flourish.
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Our property is more than adequate to support renewal with three separate buildings: the Sanctuary, Westminster Hall (rented out on weekdays and Sunday), and the former manse (also a rental unit). Two contiguous parking areas offer significant available parking.
Additionally, we are grateful to the Orrstown Bank for the Sunday use of their parking lot directly across from the Sanctuary with an entrance off Evergreen Avenue. On Sunday, please remember to leave 2 open spaces closest to the Bank's ATM for their customer’s use.